_LZcMkAanuKJ2fbFY43u532hSQk Ev Curl Gurl: Snow Food - Homemade Chili

Translate

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snow Food - Homemade Chili

"BLIZZARD 2015" - JUNO
EV'S HOMEMADE CHILI & CORNBREAD


Okay, so we dodged a major bullet in NYC with the #Blizzardof2015 aka JUNO, but I don't hear anyone with the day off from school or work complaining? Just to see NYC so quiet is a welcoming change of pace. Since I can't go snowboarding (I can do without crashing into trees at high speeds, no tree hugging allowed) a day off from work, being all cozy is perfectly okay with me. I love to write but one other thing that I do very well is cook: I LOVE TO COOK (and eat, foodie duh) and this winter weather gives me a chance to indulge in my favorite combo: homemade chili and cornbread (and yes, I made that!) Here is a quick and very easy recipe. If you mess it up, I may have to rethink our friendship...


Earlier in the day, I trekked to Midtown for work, all snug looking like a Care Bear but I already had one thing in mind as soon as I got out early: make my homemade chili and cornbread. Beauty can take a backseat for a day, it's time to hunker down and relax. 

If you don't like beef, simply substitute it with turkey - same difference if you ask me. This easy chili recipe takes about 40 minutes and is beyond delicious and even my dolls who can't boil water to save their lives can do this: 

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans
1 cup of water
1 large onion
Small red and green pepper
Pinch of chili powder
Pinch of garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of cilantro
Sour cream, shredded cheddar and scallions for garnish

Directions

1. Combine the beef and onion, saute in a large saucepan over medium heat, until meat is browned and the onion is tender. 

2. Add the stewed tomatoes (with juice) tomato sauce, beans, peppers and water.
3. Season with chili powder, garlic powder, cilantro, ground black pepper and salt to your liking (I'm Dominican, so it's a given that I add spices as I go, just eye-balling it.)
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let it simmer 30 minutes. 
5. Garnish with sour cream, cheese and scallions - enjoy!

For the cornbread, I go with Jiffy corn muffin mix and they also have corn meal mix that even you can't mess up (have this one from Aunt Jemima when I'm in a pinch and out of Jiffy:) Simple instructions, just follow them, done in 20 minutes as your chili simmers (don't burn it, please!)



Wasn't a Care Bear all day (comfort 1st!) Work flow gear is essential....

Since I have enough food for a week-long snow-in, I'm staying in, enjoying my chili. Stay warm, safe  (for those snowboarding for me, watch out for those trees and park benches) and remember, it's back to work tomorrow! 

~Evelyn Lugo

No comments:

Post a Comment